Today we are going to talk with Indie Author – Kristen Martin, author of my current favorites: Shadow Crown and Renegade Cruex. This lovely Texaner is also a YouTuber, Podcaster, and badass entrepreneur!
1. When did you know writing was what you wanted to do?
I’ve been writing ever since I was six years old. I kept a notebook of short stories with me at all times, and even went so far as to fold printer paper together and staple along the edges to create makeshift books. As a kid, I had extremely vivid dreams of being an author and going on book tours, so it’s been pretty neat to see it all come to life!
2. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I’m not sure I’d call it a quirk, but now that I’ve discovered blue-light blocking glasses, I can’t write without them! Eye fatigue is real when you’re staring at a computer screen all day, so it’s nice to have something to combat this.
3. What is your work schedule like when you’re writing?
As a creative entrepreneur, I don’t spend every day writing (with the exception of NaNoWriMo season), but I’m always creating something, whether it’s a new video, a podcast, or a digital course or program. I tend to batch my days, meaning I dedicate certain days to certain tasks. With my current schedule, I dedicate all day Wednesday and all day Saturday to writing.
4. Where do you get your inspiration for your books?
I never seem to be short of ideas, and I greatly attribute that to my constant “dreamer, head-in-the-clouds” state of mind. I get story ideas from dreams I’ve had, traveling to new locations, past experiences . . . a lot of inspiration comes from books and movies, too.
5. What is your writing Kryptonite?
I think many would agree . . . the Internet. It’s easy to fall down a black hole when you’re researching something! One minute you’re looking for world building inspiration on Pinterest, the next you’re watching four hours straight of Jenna Marbles’ videos on YouTube.
6. If you had to do something differently as a child or teenager to become a better writer as an adult, what would you do?
I wish I had written more in high school. I was so focused on beefing up my resume with AP classes, honor societies, sports teams, etc. so that I could get into a good college that my passion completely fell by the wayside. I probably could have unlocked a different level of creativity had I channeled all that energy (and “teenage angst”) into my writing instead!
7. What would the main character in your book have to say about you?
I think both Emery Parker (The Alpha Drive) and Arden Eliri (Shadow Crown) would wonder what in the world goes on in my head to make them have to endure so much loss and heartache! I make up for it though . . . at least I hope that’s what they’d say!
8. What was the best money you ever spent as a writer?
My book tour in 2018! I paid for everything—the flights, hotels, rental cars, book inventory and shipping costs—and it was worth every penny. Six-year-old me was very proud that day because I brought my childhood dream to life!
9. Tell us a little bit about your next project (or current project).
I can’t reveal too much just yet, but I am working on another personal development book, as well as edits for Jaded Spring, which is the third book in the Shadow Crown series. I have a whole notebook of story ideas, though, so more books will be on the way!
10. How do you come up with names for your characters?
Oftentimes, names will come to me before I even start writing my books. For the ones that don’t, I’ll search for baby names and surnames on Google and then create my own variations of them.
1. Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer?
Definitely a hunter. As a creator and entrepreneur, I have to be!
2. You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?
I’d call it Midnight Quartz. It’d be a smoky dark gray with a glossy finish—almost like glitter, but more like a crystal. (Wow, I’ve really given a lot of thought to this one!) The darker colors (the blacks, grays, and browns) are pretty boring, so a twist to the “dark and twisty” colors would be nice.
3. What do you think about when you’re alone in your car?
If I’m not listening to music or a podcast, I’m usually talking out loud. Since it takes forever to drive anywhere in Texas, I use car rides as an opportunity to “think out loud”, whether it’s for a new book, a YouTube video, or something else. I keep a handheld recorder with me at all times – it’s my hands-free way of taking notes!
4. How many bowls of cereal do you eat every single day and why aren’t you eating more?
Confession: I LOVE cereal, but only at night. Weird, right? I can’t even count the number of times I’ve had Apple Jacks or Honeycomb for dinner!
5. If you had to be shipwrecked on a deserted island, but all your human needs—such as food and water—were taken care of, what two items would you want to have with you?
A solar-powered Kindle pre-loaded with thousands of books and my dog, Denali. I don’t even know if that first one exists, but that’s all the entertainment I’d need!
6. If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you and why?
I would hope and pray it’d be Emmy Rossum because she’s unapologetic about who she is, she goes after what she wants, and she’s an advocate for so many things I believe in—equal pay, environmental issues, animal abuse/adoption, and so much more. She is literal #goals!
7. Pick two celebrities to be your parents.
Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman! I’m a huge Parks N Rec fan, and I just LOVE their dynamic on the show. I’m convinced it’d be the coolest household ever.
8. What’s your favorite dish to cook?
My mom’s lasagna. Each layer is a little different, so it keeps things interesting—not to mention, I have leftovers for days!
9. Would you rather fight one horse-sized duck, or 100 duck-sized horses?
100 duck-sized horses. And I wouldn’t dare fight them because they’d be too cute!
10. Finally, and this one is important, so please pay attention: What do you think cats dream about?
How long they’re going to sleep the next day!
About the Author:
Kristen Martin is the International Amazon Bestselling Author of THE ALPHA DRIVE trilogy and SHADOW CROWN series. She lives in Southeast Texas and loves all things young adult, science fiction, and fantasy.
An avid YouTuber, Kristen joined the AuthorTube community in March 2015 and films weekly videos offering aspiring authors writing advice, inspiration, ways to live a balanced lifestyle, and behind-the-scenes footage at author events and writing conferences. She loves connecting with readers and writers, so be sure to reach out!